Sunday, March 3, 2013

I'm Here!

Rumor has it that I am living with one of the best host families in Lima…and I absolutely believe it. When I arrived at my new home at 2 a.m. on Friday, I was greeted with energy, lots of kisses, and fresh flowers decorating my room. From the moment I entered the door, I was completely embraced into their home (which includes Carmela, her husband, her mother, her son, and her daughter-in-law). When I told Carmela how much I loved her beautiful home, she replied that it is now my home, too.

All of the Peruvians I have met so far are patient and accepting of my Spanish-speaking skills. Luckily, animated hand gestures and lively facial expressions help me understand the gist of most conversations. My new favorite Spanish phrase is "Que linda," or "How cute!"

San Borja is a lovely, health-conscious neighborhood. Jenna and I walked through the park yesterday, which includes an outside gym and offers dance lessons. Also, anyone who lives in San Borja can register to rent free bicycles for 45 minutes every day.

Lima is developing, and very diverse. I've already met people from Holland and South Korea, in addition to Peru! 

Today was beach day! Our family, Tyra, and Jenna all soaked in the rays. I loved it.

Classes start a week from tomorrow. Until then, I will continue with program orientation, and prepare for a trip to Iquitos--the Amazon--later in the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment