Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Time

Below is an article I have written for The Marcolian about my biggest observation in Peru! Check out this story and others at http://marcolianonline.com/

Perhaps the biggest difference between Peru and America is how the people consider time. Time in Peru is much more relaxed and free-flowing. Rather than concerning myself with what I must accomplish throughout the day, I’m learning to embrace my time in a more organic, carefree way. Living in the moment and seeking the presence of the people you love is most important.

For most circumstance here, arriving up to two hours late is acceptable. I am adjusting to “Peruvian time” well, and appreciate the extra cushion of time as I still learn to travel on the bus. On my first time traveling from my home in San Borja to the study-abroad office, I arrived nearly twenty minutes late according to the schedule. When I arrived, I began apologizing to our group leader for being late. While I was anxious about my tardiness, she considered nothing of my being late.

Above all, time is best spent in the company of others…and food. Lunch is not about eating a meal, but bringing together our family. Plates are piled high, especially during lunch. While seafood and meat are quite popular in Peru, my host mother Carmela takes extra care to ensure that the house is stocked with plenty of vegetarian options. When Carmela noticed that I enjoyed eating yogurt for breakfast, she proceeded to buy several additional flavors of yogurt and more granola for me to eat with it.  My favorite foods are the fruits, like mangos and a hybrid of an apple and plantain. These fruits make the richest, flavorful juices I have ever tasted.

As my time in Peru continues, I feel as though I have been here much longer than I really have. I was instantly embraced by my Peruvian family and friends, as well as the other students at the university; and, while I am still getting acclimated to the culture and making my way through the city, I know I will become more familiar with and passionate about this country as the days continue. For only 139 I am here, I need to make the most of every second.

No comments:

Post a Comment