Wednesday, March 27, 2013

It's Already Been One Month!

As I celebrate exactly one month since my journey in Peru began, I reflect on some of the experiences and observations that I have made to date:

1. Volunteering has been one of the most rewarding parts of my time here. Every Thursday afternoon, I go to  "Corazones en Acción" where I help feed lunches to kids and help them complete homework. I spend my time with the younger kids, who constantly ask me how to say certain words in English. I also joined my roommate Jenna on one of the monthly activities that she plans in order to teach English to school-age children. Eight kids attended the event. All of them were eager to help me with Spanish. "Gorra" was one of the words that they taught me. It refers to a baseball cap.

2. Peruvians graduate from high school at an early age. When I mentioned that I was 21 years old in my oceanography class, the other students gasped. Most of them were 17 or 18.

3. You never know where you will make a friend. One afternoon, my American friend Sam and I walked through a small neighborhood near our school. We stopped on the sidewalk for a moment when a shop worker overheard our speaking English. He immediate struck up a conversation, wanting to practice his English-speaking skills. He bought us soda and we stayed for over an hour talking to the man and another store worker. When we left, they considered us friends. They gave Sam their contact information, wanting to get together in the future.

4. English is everywhere. Many Peruvians that I've met can speak basic English (at the very least). One of my friends studied English at an institute for multiple years while he was growing up. Even movies at the theater are in English with Spanish subtitles.

Tomorrow at 5:30 a.m. I leave for Cusco and Machu Picchu with my study abroad group. I have classes off for the next 2 days since it is Holy Week. I am so excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment