Wednesday, March 27, 2013

El Fútbol

Below is an article that I wrote for The Marcolian about my experience abroad. Check out this story and others at http://marcolianonline.com/.

Now that I have watched a soccer game with my Peruvian friends, I can say that I have officially been amerced into the Peruvian culture.

On March 22, Peru faced its longstanding rival Chile in a game that would determine which team was still in contention for competing at the World Cup. In the days preceding this game, Peruvians spoke proudly of their country’s team, despite its losing record to Chile. Not a single Peruvian even considered losing as an option for this game.

On game day, red and white apparel donned countless individuals and many of the students at my university were talking about their extravagant plans for the game. Having a ticket to the game was envied.

I joined one of my friends for a small party in his home to watch the game. Observing the animated reactions of my Peruvian friends during the game was more entertaining than the actual game. The house would erupt into deafening screams and shouts whenever either team seemed close to making a goal.

Until the last 6 minutes of the game, neither team had scored a point; and, when Peru finally kicked the ball into the goal, every single person in the room jumped from his seat. Everyone embraced each other and ran hysterically around the room with tears in his eyes. Peru won the game.

A friend who actually attended the game confessed to his crying after Peru’s victory, and he was not the only one. Rambunctious, lively fans lined the streets of Miraflores. They were climbing on top of buses and passionately chanting the victory of their team.

In addition to this memorable night, I have experienced the Peruvian culture many diverse ways. Visiting Iquitos, the beautiful fountains in downtown Lima, and countless different beaches help amerce me into the Latin-American lifestyle. Needless to say, my upcoming trip to Machu Pichu is highly anticipated.

The longer I stay in Lima, the more I love the culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment