Monday, April 8, 2013

Just a Typical Weekend...

The most authentic moment during my 4 days in Cusco was spent in a search of a restaurant that served cuy—or guinea pig. Two of my friends were determined to taste the delicacy, so I joined them on their quest for a restaurant that served the dish. 

Eventually, a waiter told us of a restaurant that served cuy and he pointed across the street where an elderly woman was begging for change in a narrow entryway. My friends and I simply stared at each other. No restaurant was insight. The waiter could see the look of disbelief on our faces, and encouraged us to walk through the entryway. Hesitantly, we followed his directions, only to see several timeworn buildings and an array colorful laundry air-drying in the breeze. After several awkward moments, another waiter appeared from an obscure door, declaring that his restaurant did, indeed, serve cuy. At this point, my friends and I knew that we could not turn back. 

The man guided us through the entrance into a wide, open restaurant filled with large wooden tables and benches that spanned across the entire wooden floor. Of the numerous people that packed the tables, we were the only foreign customers. Everyone else was a local. We eagerly ordered our food, cuy for my friends and vegetables for me. 

Suddenly, live music filled the air and people immediately jumped from their seats to dance, clap to the music, and join in the singing. We instantly embraced this atmosphere, soaking in the sights, sounds, and scents. Everything about this place was pure, genuine, and real. This, we determined, is Peru. 

If my friends and I had not explored beyond the small entryway, we never would have discovered such a raw, unfiltered version of Peru. We did not know what to expect; yet, we did not let this fact hinder our experience. The best adventures are unexpected and unplanned. These are the moments that we will never forget. 

Two days earlier, I journeyed to Machu Picchu.  As I stood at the top of Machu Picchu, I realized that every single second of my life led me to that breathtaking, awe-inspiring moment. If even one or two parts of my life were different, I may not have had such an unforgettable opportunity. I realized in that moment how grateful I am for my supportive family and friends, the good times, the not-so-good times, and every experience I have ever had at Marietta College.

Every day is a new adventure—whether it’s on the top of Machu Picchu, or roaming the streets of Cusco looking for cuy.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful moment, Mary. (Don't eat the cuy, they're too cute. . .)

    ReplyDelete