Monday, April 22, 2013

Hearts in Action

Situated in the dusty, rural streets of Lima is a small, unassuming building with an incredible mission. Each week, children of all ages enter this place for food, education, love and, encouragement. This place is Hearts in Action, an organization that offers outreach programs ranging from tutoring and English lessons to free lunches and health programs.

I have the blessing of spending my Tuesday afternoons at Hearts in Action teaching an English class to youth. When I originally expressed interest in volunteering with this organization, I never could have imagined that I would be creating lesson plans to teach English and gaining so much in the process.
           
While I was originally uncertain of my capabilities to teach English, I embraced this opportunity and am so grateful that I did. We review the concepts that they have already learned in school, as well as add more vocabulary to their English foundation. Ultimately, the goal of this class is for these children to build the confidence to use their blossoming English-speaking skills.  

Seeing their progression is exciting, as well as encouraging to me as I continue to learn a second language. Just as I teach these children English, they also teach me Spanish. They eagerly complete my sentences in Spanish if I am struggling for words. Together, we make the learning process both productive and humorous, as we both conquer obstacles with accents and mispronunciation.

Their favorite phrase is “see you later” and, in order to leave the room at the end of the day, saying this phrase is essential.

Perhaps the most exciting part of my volunteering with Heart in Action was being able to be a part of a school supplies giveaway at the beginning of the year. My church in Ashville, Hedges Chapel, generously helped supply the funds to give every student school supplies to last the entire year. Being able to help distribute these supplies was a humbling, rewarding experience.
Without service, my time in Peru would not be what it is.
Smiling for the camera after the school-supplies giveaway!

No comments:

Post a Comment