Sunday, April 14, 2013

Carpe Diem.

Having spur-of-the-moment adventures has been my favorite part of my time in Peru. Spontaneity is embraced as I seek to explore every inch of the Peruvian country and culture

Today, for example, I was doing homework when an exciting opportunity presented itself. With a fifteen-minutes notice, my host mother asked if I wanted to join the family on a visit to the movie theatre to see the new Peruvian movie "Asu Mare." I eagerly accepted the invitation, as I have heard so many positive, proud comments from Peruvians about the movie. I assumed that Carmela, Lorenzo, his wife, Jenna, and I were the only ones going to the movie, so imagine my surprise when we met at least 15 other relatives at the theatre! Everything in Peru is a family affair.

Also, after spending Friday evening with our Peruvian friends, Tyra and I were headed home when one of our friends mentioned that he had a beach house. Rather than going home, we took the next bus to Punta Hermosa and spent the day soaking in the rays and enjoying each other's company. It was an amazing decision.

Some days, my schedule is planned to the minute with meetings, extra-curricular activities, and places that I need to be. Having the freedom to slow down and embrace time with the wonderful people in my life right now is incredible. 

1 comment:

  1. We MUST bring at least a little of this way of life back with us to the US. I've been thinking the same thing - before, my life was so scheduled, and there was no time for people and experiences. But now, I think things will be a little different. Glad you are feeling the same way!

    ReplyDelete