Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Beginning of the End

Between farewell dinners, final exams, volunteering, and traveling, every one of my 25 remaining days in Peru is planned. While the thought of being reunited with my family and friends in America is elating, the though of departing from my Peruvian life is overwhelming. So many wonderful, diverse people have been placed in my life: every child at Hearts in Action, the Europeans in my Spanish class, the Peruvians who initially embraced my arrival and showed me around Lima... The list could continue.

My friends from around the world have imparted me with words of wisdom about embracing my remaining time in Peru. Upon my mentioning that I was almost sad by how my days in Peru are numbered, my Peruvian friend Natalia told me,"Enjoy every minute, every second, don't lose your time feeling sad! If you feel sad just remember [the good times that we've had]." While I have only ever socialized with Natalia twice, she always wants to be sure that I am enjoying myself and my adventures in Peru. Similarly, my good friend Sydney, who studied abroad in Italy this past spring reminded me, "Wherever you go, that is exactly where you are meant to be. Be happy you're there. Be happy to go home. Everything that happens to you is good." I keep these thoughts in mind daily!

My final day teaching English at Corazones en Acción was filled with a few tears as the children presented me with a cards and sang a song before I left. Always and forever this young ones will have a special place in my heart!

Traveling and seeing the diverse regions of Lima is exhilarating...and only more captivating as the time passes! This weekend, I am going to Oxapampa for a weekend music and arts festival with Tyra and some other American, Peruvian, and Europeans friends.We will return to face our final exams and projects before we leave for a week in Cartagena.
Mariah, Valeria, and I model scarfs boasting the famous swirly Peru logo! I purchased one of these scarves!

No comments:

Post a Comment