Wednesday, June 12, 2013

39 More Days in Peru

As Ohioans bask in the summer sun, those of us in the southern hemisphere shiver in the winter cold. Indeed, soups are becoming the more popular dinner choice and extra blankets now layer my bed. While winter temperatures in Peru do not compare to ice and snow of some Ohio winters, the sunless mornings and chilly walks to the bus stop are a stark contrast to the first few hot summer months I spent in Peru. Receiving a few puzzled glances as I walk around Lima is not uncommon, as I only wear a light cardigan and scarf on most days. Peruvians bundle in their jackets and pea coats and hats for this weather!

One of my favorite experiences in South America is gathering to watch the World Cup-qualifying soccer game. Seeing the candid, expressive reactions of Peruvians throughout the game is priceless. Last Friday, Peru scored a goal within the first few minutes of its game against Ecuador. The team held the lead for a 1-0 victory...much to the delight of every single person in Peru. Unfortunately, Peru lost to Columbia the following Tuesday.

I am also thrilled to spend time with Hearts in Action, teaching English to a group of 5 to 8 students. Lesson topics have covered everything from basic verbs and vegetables to body parts and beginner phrases. I learn a lot about Spanish throughout this teaching process, and each of the children in my class have become special to me.

Time continues at an unbelievably rapid pace. When did the month become June? My goal during my remaining days in Peru is to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself, whether it is spending a few hours in Central Lima at an art exposition or returning to the jungle for a two-day music festival. 

No comments:

Post a Comment